Useful tips from A-Z|How to get to Terlan|Contact|Credits|Cookies
DeutschItalianoDeutsch

Curiosities from history

The heyday and decline of mining in Terlan

In Terlan and surroundings, the mining industry flourished from the 14th century. Between 1480 and 1570, approximately 1000 miners worked in Terlan and Nals every year. The highlight of quarrying argentiferous lead ore was during the 16th century, but this was also the beginning of the downfall. During the 17th and 18th centuries, there were attempts to revive mining in Terlan and Nals, but the effort was not worth it. From 1907 the search for silver and zinc was once again initiated. With some interruptions, the works in the mines of Terlan-Kreuth continued until the early 50’s of the 20th century. Today, the scree and mining galleries are no longer visible.

The leaning tower of Terlan

In 1757, people noticed that the church tower in Terlan was not straight. The decision to demolish the church tower due to danger of collapse was taken in 1884. In the same year, the church tower was taken down stone by stone, and only the pedestal remained untouched. Some years later, between 1891 and 1893, the tower was rebuilt with its original stones, which were all marked with a number when taken down. Monsignor Dr. Josef Weiser (eponym of the main square in Terlan) was the first restaurateur and constructor of the new tower.

Beer brewery in Terlan

The “Blaumau-Vilpian Beer Factory” was built in 1896. The brewery was known throughout the region for the production of special beers. In 1924, the brewery was changed into a malting plant. Malt for light and dark beer, and caramel malt and special malts for dietary products were produced until the end of the 60’s of the 20th century. Today, a regional fire-brigade school replaces the malt plant.

Sulphur baths

In and around 1900, the sulphur baths were opened at the “Zum Gratl” Guesthouse in Terlan. The required water was transported in wooden barrels from the sulphur source in Vilpian to the Gratl Guesthouse by horse-drawn carriage. These baths were closed in 1939.

Siebeneich Brick Factory

In 1604, the stove fitters from Bozen were granted the permission to obtain clay from Margarethen River. In return, the artisans had to produce 50 fired roof tiles per craftsman for the parish church in Terlan. Later on, there were several brickmakers in Siebeneich, who produced stove tiles and roof tiles. The production continued until the 60’s of the 20th century.

Das Wetter in Südtirol
Wolkenlos

Heute 16 32

Heiter

Morgen 16 32

© Landeswetterdienst

Webcam
Webcam Terlan
Unsere Partner
Südtiroler Weinstraße Südtirols Süden Südtirol Raiffeisen Terlan